Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Music

February 6 2012

Hum... okay... I know that different types of music have different
moments, and I usually choose what to play depending on my current
mood, or the mood I want to be in –sometimes I play something in
particular just because I feel like listening to that without giving
it any thought. Sometimes the environment I want to play music in
restricts the type of music I can or want to play. For example, at
when I'm at work or studying, I play instrumental music. When I was
studying for exams on my first year of college, I played hard core and
punk to cover the noise of other people talking in the study rooms. I
played it loud and didn't pay attention to the lyrics, which wasn't
too hard to do since my spoken English comprehension at the time was
just alright.

Since I got to Tangbaya I played music in rare occasions, because
electricity here is precious. The first few nights, when I went to bed
earlier than most kids and youth and needed to cover their noise to
fall asleep, I listened to Ea! I have to admit it was a great surprise
to me that Ea!'s music fit the circumstances of the location I am at
:) I actually loved it. John Lennon didn't do the trick both because
the recordings I have are of poor quality and because the noise of the
kids went through. Air was good for night time. Leonard Cohen put me
to sleep right away. Belle and Sebastian awesome both in the morning
and later on to cover people chatter around me when I needed to. I was
very happy to bring along Mikel Laboa and Toumani diabate & friends.
Frank Zappa's music, though, seems to be totally out of place here,
and that's what made me think of writing this post.

[ADD LINKS]

No comments:

Post a Comment